Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Why Your Department Needs Social Media

The Chronicle of Higher Education
September 1st, 2015

When I started running my department’s Facebook account I didn’t have a clear reason for doing so; just a vague sense that in the 21st century every department needed one. Having added a Twitter account last summer, and a podcast series most recently, I’ve had some time to think about the rationale behind departmental social media.
My conclusion: Social media is crucial not only because it provides a fast way to share information, but also because it makes faculty workloads more transparent.
The most significant reason social media is important is because it means I can quickly share faculty and student achievements. Especially during a time like this summer, when my university was revamping its website, having access to an alternative outlet was crucial for publicizing information about graduation and first-year orientation — as well as any colleagues’ publications, workshops, or exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.