Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A President’s Return to Being a Student

Inside Higher Ed
September 1st, 2015


Since 2007, there have been too many of them to name individually. Day after day and year after year, I have listened to the narrative of their lives and heard the stress in their voices. I have seen the promise of dreams in their eyes and witnessed the cruelty of compromise in their actions. They are bright and they are hardworking. However, economically, they are poor. They are also my students.
I did not plan on becoming a college president. I did not grow up dreaming of a life filled with faculty senates, football and bow ties. I owe my current position as the president of Paul Quinn College less to design than to the confluence of a series of seemingly random events, not the least of which was the fact that I saw potential in a role few others found desirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.