Monday, August 17, 2015

Freelance Academics as Public Intellectuals

The Chronicle of Higher Education
August 14th, 2015



A few weeks ago, I received an email from a reporter at a popular magazine, asking to interview me about a current event: the publication of Harper Lee’s new book, Go Set a Watchman, and the apparent downfall of Atticus Finch as an American hero. I agreed to the interview. When the reporter called, before she could begin the interview, I asked her a question: “How did you find me?” I figured she saw something I wrote on Twitter or on my blog.
She said she found me through my research.
Many years ago, back when I was still a professor, I published an article on To Kill a Mockingbird that took a controversial, critical stance on Atticus Finch. Based on that research, the reporter believed I would be a good expert to interview about the new controversy surrounding the character.

A few weeks ago, I received an email from a reporter at a popular magazine, asking to interview me about a current event: the publication of Harper Lee’s new book, Go Set a Watchman, and the apparent downfall of Atticus Finch as an American hero. I agreed to the interview. When the reporter called, before she could begin the interview, I asked her a question: “How did you find me?” I figured she saw something I wrote on Twitter or on my blog.
She said she found me through my research.
Many years ago, back when I was still a professor, I published an article on To Kill a Mockingbird that took a controversial, critical stance on Atticus Finch. Based on that research, the reporter believed I would be a good expert to interview about the new controversy surrounding the character.
- See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/1100-freelance-academics-as-public-intellectuals#sthash.xX7t2arj.dpuf
A few weeks ago, I received an email from a reporter at a popular magazine, asking to interview me about a current event: the publication of Harper Lee’s new book, Go Set a Watchman, and the apparent downfall of Atticus Finch as an American hero. I agreed to the interview. When the reporter called, before she could begin the interview, I asked her a question: “How did you find me?” I figured she saw something I wrote on Twitter or on my blog.
She said she found me through my research.
Many years ago, back when I was still a professor, I published an article on To Kill a Mockingbird that took a controversial, critical stance on Atticus Finch. Based on that research, the reporter believed I would be a good expert to interview about the new controversy surrounding the character.
- See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/1100-freelance-academics-as-public-intellectuals#sthash.xX7t2arj.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.