Friday, July 24, 2015

To Find Happiness in Academe, Women Should Just Say No

The Chronicle of Higher Education
July 19th, 2015

I work with some of the most brilliant women on the planet: academics at leading colleges and research universities.
My coaching clients succeeded early in their careers by working hard and saying yes when opportunities came their way. But by the time they come to me, their schedules are killing them. A case in point is Dierdre, who called in despair, exclaiming, "I’m surrounded by great colleagues, I have smart, motivated students, and I can study topics that excite me, but it’s just too much. Every day I’m sure I’ll be able to work on my writing tomorrow, and then my day is completely full and I fall into bed exhausted, and I still haven’t opened my manuscript."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.