Monday, June 1, 2015

The Longest Job Visit

Inside Higher Ed
May 1st, 2015

My professors avoided the rather uncomfortable topic of the job search, the looming structural changes in academia’s contingent labor market, and what postgraduation life is like for those who don’t slide into tenure-track jobs.
And yet, in a survey of over 30,000 faculty members (20,000 of whom identified as contingent workers), the Coalition on the Academic Workforce found 80 percent reported teaching in part-time, non-tenure-track positions for three years, and 50 percent teaching off the tenure track for more than six years. When I left graduate school I went on a six-year job search that I call the Longest Job Visit.
Although higher education is undergoing some very real structural changes, I thought I would share a more lived experience perspective on becoming a visiting assistant professor, serving in that capacity and then finally moving on from that role.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.