Thursday, June 18, 2015

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Inside Higher Ed
June 18th, 2015


Dear Kerry Ann,
We often read and hear about how much new Ph.D.s long to step into tenure-track faculty positions. I am honored to be in this role, but I find that many days I question if this is the best place for me. At the end of my first year, I am wondering: How do you know when it's time to cut your losses and seek positions outside of the academy?
Sincerely,
New and Confused
Dear New and Confused,
Yours is an extremely common question among tenure-track faculty, especially at the end of the first year. On one hand, the state of the academic job market means that anyone landing a tenure-track position knows that they are fortunate and therefore, tends to feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude. On the other hand, that gratitude often keeps us from asking the larger, far more important question: Do I really want to do this? As always, there’s no one-size-fits-all advice, but I do want to suggest some guiding questions to help you navigate your own answer to this important question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.