Monday, June 1, 2015

Attitude Adjustment

Inside Higher Ed
June 1st, 2015

Three years ago I proudly waved my flip phone around and told anyone who cared (and many who didn’t) that I hadn’t a clue about social media, nor did I care to know about it, thank you very much. I liked reading my books, writing my papers and teaching my students.
Now, as a Ph.D. candidate currently working to help professionalize graduate students, I have a Twitter account, several suits and an iPhone. I’ve also undergone an attitudinal shift: I think differently about what a graduate student should know and do. Looking back on the flip phone version of myself, I’m struck by the disconnect between who I am now and who I was only a few years ago. What follows are some simple tips I’d have given myself if I could have tapped myself on the shoulder at graduate orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.