Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Facing the Dreaded End-of-Term Question

The Chronicle of Higher Education
May 26th, 2015


It’s the second-to-last week of classes, and as I weave my way through the clusters of students in the hallway, I am steeling myself against the question that I know is coming.
I’m focused on not colliding with students; I’m focused on what I’m going to do when I get into the classroom. I’m going to answer the question before anyone has the opportunity to ask it.
I’ve only just walked in, we’re not even on class time yet, when one of my students blurts out Part 1. The question almost always comes in two parts.
"So we don’t have a final in this class, right?"
I take a deep breath. I put my things down on the desk. I’m not going to snap. "That is correct. We do not have a final exam in this class."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.