Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don’t Let Mean People Destroy Your Career

The Chronicle of Higher Education
May 21st, 2015



A professional organization on my campus recently offered me an opportunity that was hard to resist: the chance to speak to emerging leaders on the topic of my choice. I proposed the title “Don’t Let Mean People Destroy Your Career” and set to work crafting the “TED-like” talk they wanted.
I was excited about the topic because I have been both a target and an unwitting protector of mean people in recent years and I thought this would be an opportunity to think through some of the mistakes I have made in dealing with them.
I began my talk by listing some of the attributes of mean people. I noted how they tended to steal credit, talk trash, cut in line, hog resources, and intentionally give out misinformation. I described their propensity to criticize with vigor and abandon in order to demonstrate their superiority and everyone else’s unworthiness. I acknowledged that my list was incomplete but would suffice for the purposes of our discussion. I wanted to focus, not on what it’s like to be the target of mean acts but rather, on our responsibilities as leaders when we discover that we have a mean person reporting to us.

A professional organization on my campus recently offered me an opportunity that was hard to resist: the chance to speak to emerging leaders on the topic of my choice. I proposed the title “Don’t Let Mean People Destroy Your Career” and set to work crafting the “TED-like” talk they wanted.
I was excited about the topic because I have been both a target and an unwitting protector of mean people in recent years and I thought this would be an opportunity to think through some of the mistakes I have made in dealing with them.
I began my talk by listing some of the attributes of mean people. I noted how they tended to steal credit, talk trash, cut in line, hog resources, and intentionally give out misinformation. I described their propensity to criticize with vigor and abandon in order to demonstrate their superiority and everyone else’s unworthiness. I acknowledged that my list was incomplete but would suffice for the purposes of our discussion. I wanted to focus, not on what it’s like to be the target of mean acts but rather, on our responsibilities as leaders when we discover that we have a mean person reporting to us.
- See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/1013-don-t-let-mean-people-destroy-your-career#sthash.CS5rUQ3M.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.