Thursday, April 2, 2015

A New Era? The Outlook for U.S.-Cuba Academic Relations

The Chronicle of Higher Education
April 2nd, 2015


A new era in U.S.-Cuba relations was ushered in on December 17th when the presidents of both countries announced they were prepared to end nearly six decades of estrangement. I had nearly lost hope that in my lifetime there would be a rapprochement between my adopted nation and the island where I was born and which I left 55 years ago with my parents.
I have made the study of my homeland my academic career, so I could not be more thrilled about the prospect of a normalization of relations. I also welcome the evident rise in interest in Cuba among universities and nonprofits in the United States since the announcement. In February I participated as a panelist in a teleconference on Cuba organized by the Institute of International Education. The event drew an audience of some 180 representatives of colleges, universities, and academic organizations from throughout the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.