Thursday, February 19, 2015

Bend But Don’t Break Your Teaching Standards

The Chronicle of Higher Education
February 19th, 2015



I’m a Denver Broncos fan. That’s why I skipped watching this latest Super Bowl. For those of us in Colorado it was like watching a western movie in which both sides wore the black hats. However, I did see an article on Huffington Post before the game that vastly improved my opinion of the often-controversial Richard Sherman, the Seattle Seahawks’ star cornerback.
That article contained long quotes from a press conference where Sherman and one of his teammates made the case that NCAA athletes should get paid. What’s most useful about the following quote from Sherman is how it shows things from the student’s point of view:
“I would love for a regular student to have a student-athlete's schedule during the season for just one quarter or one semester and show me how you’ll balance that,” Sherman said. “Show me how you would schedule your classes when you can't schedule classes from 2 to 6 o'clock on any given day. Show me how you're going to get all your work done when, after you get out at 7:30 or so, you've got a test the next day, you're dead tired from practice and you still have to study just as hard as everybody else every day and get all the same work done.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.