Friday, December 5, 2014

The Campus Style Police: "Your Look is a Bit Wild."

The Chronicle of Higher Education
December 5th, 2014



In my early years of teaching, I considered myself fortunate that I escaped any negative assessment from my peers of how I looked or what I wore. As an adjunct professor teaching a class here and there in addition to my off-campus work, I flew under the radar. I was 20-something and had yet to really define my personal style. And I either didn't pay much attention to what my colleagues were saying, doing, or perceiving, or I simply hadn't made myself a target yet.
But a few years ago, six words changed that. Six words would quickly catapult me from unknown and unseen to the ranks of those professors of color who find themselves defending their physical appearance.
"Your look is a bit wild."
Those six words were spoken by a well-intentioned colleague who sat in on a workshop I was teaching for the college's professional development series—a workshop, ironically titled, “Cultural Competency in the Workplace and Classroom.” I suppose she didn't have any idea who I was or where I'd come from. Remember, I’d been in and out of academe up until that point. The workshop was a way for me to intentionally be noticed, should I ever desire to apply for a full-time position.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.