Thursday, December 18, 2014

No Justice! No Peace! No Writing?

Inside Higher Ed
December 18th, 2014

Dear Kerry Ann,
The recent political events in Ferguson (and beyond) have me consumed with injustice in the world. I'm located in an isolated location (there are no actual protests in my area) so I'm spending enormous amounts of time on Facebook and Twitter re-posting news, fighting with "friends" I've only recently learned hold racist views, and watching all things protest on TV. I have no energy for my work and fighting for justice feels like an immediate need (or at least way more important than the boring article I'm writing). But I'm not meeting the expectations my department has for publishing my research and I have a third-year review looming. Spending time on my writing feels privileged, careerist and positively decadent when other people are protesting in the streets.
What should I do?
Passionate (But Not Productive) Assistant Professor

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.