Monday, November 3, 2014

How Much Teaching Experience Do I Need?

The Chronicle of Higher Education - Vitae
November 3rd, 2014


How important is teaching experience when applying for jobs? I was fortunate enough to get two nonteaching fellowships while I completed my coursework but this means I haven't done any teaching as of yet. Now I'm wondering if I need to make sure I get some teaching under my belt once I come back from fieldwork. This shouldn't be a problem since there are always teaching opportunities at my university, but I'm just wondering what my game plan should be.
Teaching is extremely important on the academic market. The faculty job is fundamentally a teaching job, and without some evidence of teaching success, it is difficult to be competitive as a candidate. That doesn’t mean that green A.B.D.’s, who only have TA experience, for example, are instantly disqualified. It is understood that everyone has to start somewhere. You can still write persuasive content in your application materials about your teaching experience even when you haven’t yet managed your own courses (I’ll explain how below). But Plan A should always be: Get actual teaching experience. I don’t mean just being a TA, I mean teaching your own course. 


How important is teaching experience when applying for jobs? I was fortunate enough to get two nonteaching fellowships while I completed my coursework but this means I haven't done any teaching as of yet. Now I'm wondering if I need to make sure I get some teaching under my belt once I come back from fieldwork. This shouldn't be a problem since there are always teaching opportunities at my university, but I'm just wondering what my game plan should be.
Teaching is extremely important on the academic market. The faculty job is fundamentally a teaching job, and without some evidence of teaching success, it is difficult to be competitive as a candidate. That doesn’t mean that green A.B.D.’s, who only have TA experience, for example, are instantly disqualified. It is understood that everyone has to start somewhere. You can still write persuasive content in your application materials about your teaching experience even when you haven’t yet managed your own courses (I’ll explain how below). But Plan A should always be: Get actual teaching experience. I don’t mean just being a TA, I mean teaching your own course.
- See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/786-how-much-teaching-experience-do-i-need#sthash.En3TEqty.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

To eliminate spam comments at restricted to registered users. Additionally, all posts are moderated to further prevent spam and off topic discourse. We strive to post all on topic comments.